Thursday, January 8, 2009

First week back after the New Year

It's the Cow Year, or so I've been told.  The Chinese year of the Cow.  I'll probably just keep calling it 2009.  This past week I spent my free time recovering from jet lag, and on Sunday I went exploring a little.  I went to Yoyogi Park, where the Meiji Shrine is.  Every new year these Shinto Shrines get incredibly crowded as almost everyone in Tokyo goes to a Shrine to get good luck for the upcoming year.  There can be a 3 hour wait to get in and get your lucky arrow, or piece of bamboo.  The Meiji Shrine is one of the big ones, and it is really popular with the Tokyo-ites.  I got off the train here in Harajuku and had to fight my way through a crowd just to cross the street and walk away from the park.

So you might be asking, did I embrace what is Japan's religion, Shinto?  Did I find myself, or come to some deep and profound conclusion about the meaning of life.  Well yes, since you ask, I did.  I had a profoundly spiritual experience while I was there.  And I didn't even have to go into the shrine.  I saw a dog riding a tricycle.  And in its black little eyes I saw the face of God...



Harajuku is where the nonconformist kids gather to show off their forward-looking styles.  Judging from what I've seen dressing like a panda is going to be huge in a year or so.  I'd recommend everyone that reads this go ahead and get a jump on that one.  Don't wait until Old Navy has them in stock because they won't be cool anymore.

And the kids will all be cross-dressing and going to the mall to give away free hugs.  It's pretty sweet that the kids in Tokyo really "stick it to the man" by giving away hugs -- those little sons of bitches.  Their parents must be so disappointed.  It was cold and I was underdressed, so don't assume that I always go around with my jacket zipped up all the way under my chin like some crazy European.  Her sign didn't come through well on the picture but it says "Free Hugs".






Next is a random "fashion" store in Harajuku.  This dress, the one that looks like something Marie Antoinette might decide was a little too gaudy, was on sale for about $1,000.  Not a bad deal.  What's funny is that you're likely to actually see a girl wearing this outside, just walking around or hanging out with her friends.  Or even a guy for that matter.  I have some jeans that have some embroidery on the back pocket and I was a little nervous about wearing them in public, unsure if I could pull it off.   Turns out I'm not very fashionable here, as opposed to Atlanta where I was incredibly cool, but here I have the huge benefit of being American and being completely different (and taller) than almost anyone else these kids are likely to see.  This is not a costume shop I've taken pictures of!  You WILL see each of the outfits being worn out on the street.  So my embroidery didn't raise any eyebrows.  They were like, "Look at this square, wearing pants."



Alright, that's it for me right now.  Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

No comments:

Post a Comment